> 8 Signs of Terrorism
8 Signs of Terrorism
- 1. Surveillance
- Someone recording or monitoring activities. This may include the use of cameras (either still or video), note taking, drawing diagrams, annotating on maps, or using binoculars or other vision-enhancing devices.
- 2. Elicitation
- People or organizations attempting to gain information about military operations, capabilities, or people. Elicitation attempts may be made by mail, fax, telephone, or in person.
- 3. Tests of Security
- Any attempts to measure reaction times to security breaches or to penetrate physical security barriers or procedures in order to assess strengths and weaknesses.
- 4. Acquiring Supplies
- Purchasing or stealing explosives, weapons, ammunition, etc. Also includes acquiring military uniforms, decals, flight manuals, passes or badges (or the equipment to manufacture such items) or any other controlled items.
- 5. Suspicious Persons Out 0f Place
- People who don't seem to belong in the workplace, neighborhood, business establishment, or anywhere else. Includes suspicious border crossings and stowaways aboard ship or people jumping ship into port.
- 6. Dry Run/Trial Run
- Putting people into position and moving them according to their plan without actually committing the terrorist act. This is especially true when planning a kidnapping, but it can also pertain to bombings. An element of this activity could also include mapping out routes and determining the timing of traffic lights and flow.
- 7. Deploying Assets
- People and supplies getting into position to commit the act. This is a person's last chance to alert authorities before the terrorist act occurs.
- 8. Funding
- Suspicious transactions involving large payments, deposits or withdrawals are common signs of terrorist funding. Collections for donations, the solicitation for money and criminal activity are also warning signs.